While this recipe does take quite awhile to complete from start to finish, most of the time is spent either waiting on the dough to rise or waiting for the bread to cook. The actual prep time for this recipe is minimal. I will also mention that a stand mixer will come in handy if you have one (KitchenAid or otherwise). I did not have a mixer to use this time, so it is certainly possible to make this recipe without a mixer, but it is quite the workout!
Printer-friendly list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of the page.
Ingredients for Povitica (Walnut Cinnamon Swirl Bread)
- Combine yeast, 1 tbsp. sugar, and half of the warm milk in a bowl and let sit until foamy (~10 minutes).
- Once foamy, mix in remaining sugar and milk, as well as the salt, butter, and egg.
- While stirring, slowly mix in flour until dough is formed. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- In a food processor, purée walnuts, sugar, butter, milk, and cinnamon into a smooth paste.
- Beat egg whites until frothy and slowly and mix in walnut paste.
Forming Loaf & Baking Instructions
- Use butter to grease a 9″ x 5″ x 2 3/4″ loaf pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12″ x 5″ long oval about 1/9″ thick.
- Evenly spread walnut mixture onto the dough with a spoon.
- Starting on one end, tightly roll the dough into a loaf and transfer to pan. Set in a warm place for ~1 hour until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 350°, then bake until a knife inserted in middle comes out clean (~1 hour).
- Let cool and enjoy!
Enjoy this Povitica Recipe from Croatia and stay tuned for more great recipes from around the world on the Bites Without Flights page!